Friday, April 20, 2007

Jon's Initial Observations

I will say this, the more I look at Brent's software for tournament use the more I feel that:

 

  1. It can be customized to individual tournaments like invitationals, but it cannot be customized to fit a very specific set of pairing rules like NFL or like our state tournament works now. Furthermore, I believe no software will be able to do this consistently.
  2. I believe it can be used to schedule, section and enter results for IE's with little to no headaches.
  3. I think we need to consider using the software for ballot entry and strength of opp reports, but in the end, hand pairing will likely be the only way to ensure a specific set of rules is followed during a pairing procedure. I'm becoming a believer that a computer cannot be trusted to do this consistently.
  4. While I still support the use of computers to tabulate the tournament and generate the reports at the tournament's end, I do not support the use of computers to schedule and pair the tournament.

 

3 comments:

Bergan said...

and the choir sang.....AMEN!!!

M Larson said...

Not being in on either quals or the tab room for State, I am not sure about this. I don't knwo about paying all that money when you have to tab by hand anyway. I have heard several comments that concern me though.

Anonymous said...

I agree with all you said Jon - until the software changes our how we want to run our state tournament changes the two do not fit together now.